I have achy testicles. What should I do?

gray newton s cradle in close up photogaphy

A reader asks our experts what he should do about sudden aches in his balls.


I sometimes get aches in my left ball. I’ve done a check for lumps but haven’t found anything odd – or unusual. There’s been no blood in my pee or cum.

The pain is like a dull ache that goes from the bottom of my balls to the pit of my stomach. It doesn’t last very long. Because it doesn’t happen all the time I haven’t been to the doctor about it, but wondering if I should.

Paddy, Dublin

Hello Paddy

Re-occurring pain anywhere is a reason to get checked and you should see your GP for an examination. It could be something entirely benign or something more serious although from what you say you don’t have other symptoms.

These are:

  • A new hard lump on the testicle
  • Swelling or enlargement of a testicle
  • An increase in the firmness of a testicle
  • An unusual difference between one testicle and the other

However there is no harm in being on the safe side and ruling this out by visiting your GP or GUM clinic and if it is anything serious, the earlier it’s caught the more effective the treatment. If you get a significant acute pain that persists in either your testicle or abdomen, you should see your doctor for urgent review.

The advice listed above is not intended to replace or take the place of that of your own doctor, GP or medical professional who knows your full medical history. If in any doubt make an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible.

Mr. Man

This article was first published in September 2016 on our partner site, THEGAYUK

Get tackle in your box

* indicates required
topless woman lying on bed Previous post Am I a sex addict? I have slept with over 700 guys
shirtless men Next post Do you watch porn with your partner when you’re having sex?